Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Day 1

Let's see, what have I learned today?

I learned that I need to clean out my yoga bag. (Oh the shower of stuff that came along with my sheepskin when I pulled it out...various stones, some peppermint oil, and hundreds of bits of paper with Yogi Bhajan-isms, exercises, meditations, mantras and other bits of esoterica that struck me in the midst of either teaching or practicing. Hundreds. I swear. Hundreds.)

I learned that one of my dogs really likes my sheepskin meditation mat and really doesn't want me on it.

I re-learned that the Peace Family recording of Sa Ta Na Ma really doesn't lend itself to doing Kirtan Kriya. (The pauses are awkward. Neither do the Yoga of Sound and Mantra Girl versions. Those are the options I have on hand. Bummer. It's up to my pathetic vocal cords alone now...)

I learned that little fingers have absconded with my timer. And then I learned my iPod light doesn't stay on when using it's timer, making timing rather challenging. (Kirtan Kriya, which is supposed to be 1 minute of chanting, 1 minute of whispering, 3 minutes of silent chanting, 1 minute of whispering and 1 mintue of chanting, ended up more like 1 minute chanting, 1 minute whispering, 4 1/2 minutes silent, 2 3/4 minutes whispering and 1 minute chanting. Since I get "time lost" when meditating, am going to have to do some systems work...)

And I learned not to drink a huge glass of water before bowing for 3 minutes. (UGH)

So, you can probably tell it wasn't a flawlessly smooth start. Yet start I did, and despite the best efforts of my subconscious to stress me out with thoughts of groceries, laundry, holiday gifts and rearranging the furniture, it felt really good.

1 Comments:

Blogger Shaun said...

Well, you've done it, you've started. (See, we really are watching!) Many commendations. I wish I could join you, but I think I too need to circle around with what I most need to commit to doing before I actually start.

7:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home